Home
Menu
Prices
Butcher is fined
Published:  01 April, 2007

A Bedfordshire butcher has been fined £2,000 after a ham full of boiling water spilled onto the feet of a teenage employee, leaving him with second-degree burns. Phil Woolgar, then 17, was hospitalised for five days and given skin grafts. Mid Beds District Council found Piggotts Family Butchers in Biggleswade did not have suitable safety procedures in place and had failed to carry out a proper risk assessment. The owners of the butcher's, Carl and Jayne Billings, pleaded guilty at Mid Beds district court and were fined £2,000.